Skip to main content

Reply to "This is the world today"

@ARCEKU21 posted:

You are going to hear a lot more about "full rides" to schools because schools are selling the NIL money to bridge the gap between athletic money, academic money, and the cost of going to school. Also, when athletic money is not available, combining academic money and NIL becomes a selling point during the recruiting process. NIL has definitely become a game changer, but it is like the wild west now.

I am not sure that schools can outright hand anyone $$. It's all done through collectives. All teams should have their own collectives.

Here is a scenerio. The coach calls the collective and says I have a player that needs $ to help pay for tuition or housing. The collective has been approved as will be the company employing the player. The player has to report income and pays taxes. This is a great way to help out students. It especially helps the ones who didn't play in 2020.

I am not 100% on who pays the player. But this is how it should be. Get students that need the $$s to help pay school costs, not get a new car to drive for the season. JMO

I am not 100% on the above. But I did read that it is against NCAA NIL rules for a coach to offer money to recruits or transfers to come play at their program.

And yes it is like the wild west but I think in time it will work out.