Skip to main content

Reply to "This makes for great discussion"

TR: I never said the word steroids in my post, but I did bring up PEDs in a more general way. Here's the deal, which I'm sure you know: Manny took HGC, a female fertility drug that is popular among steroid users because it lessens the side effects. The drug was added to MLB's list of banned substances last year and is similar to Clomid, a drug Jason Giambi admitted he used along with steroids to a grand jury.

Now you can believe Manny hasn't cheated, but he was suspended for violating MLB's drug policy and he didn't contest it. I obviously have drawn a different conclusion than you. I hate that guys who cheated (McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, A-Rod, etc.) are blowing up the MLB record book and somehow being compared to the truly great (Aaron, Mays, Mantle, etc.) I don't think it's too much to ask players to compete fairly. This entire era is tainted by PEDs and the drugs used to mask them.

So for me Mickey is greater than Manny will ever be. The sad thing? Manny is a great, great hitter, someone who didn't need to look for ways to chemically enhance his performance. His legacy will be judged accordingly.