Skip to main content

Reply to "This makes for great discussion"

Coach--the writer of the article and, apparently, the author of the book, do not cite any authority whatsoever for the proposition that Mantle used steroids. What a load. If I write that Lou Gehrig used steroids does it mean that he did? Come on. And Mays denied the allegation made by a lesser player. And Aaron allegedly admits to using a single amphetamine once? And the Schmidt quote only shows that he WOULD NOT HAVE USED steroids if given the chance. That article actually establishes that players of the past likely DID NOT use such PEDs (steroids).

Now, did players in the past used "pick me ups" (amphetamines)? Many probably did. These were often made readily available by ball clubs in the locker room. They were used like caffiene or today's energy drinks. Because of their visibility and the fact that clubs provided them I would guess that they were legal substances and quite mild. But these are nothing like steroids in any case. Again, drink a Red Bull before a game and you have the same argument. Steroids and HGH are completely different issues.

So no one should be comparing CHEATERS like Bonds, Ramirez, and Sosa to guys like Mantle, Mays, and Aaron, even if the latter could be proved to have taken any of the "pick me ups."

A question--should we keep Pete Rose out of the Hall if we allow in guys like Bonds, Ramirez, McGwire, Sosa, etc.?
Last edited by rhobbs