Skip to main content

Reply to "This makes for great discussion"

If anyone thinks steroids and HGH are somehow equal to a handful of greenies in terms of performance, I'll point you to the record book. Look at the numbers in the mid-to-late 1990s and early 2000's. The power-hitting numbers were off the charts compared to any other era. And with all the documented evidence on steroid use in the game over that period, it's clear some players were cheating. It has robbed guys like Schmidt, Reggie, Killebrew, Robinson of their rightful place in history. If you don't believe these drugs didn't make a difference, then I'd ask why the sky-high power numbers have dropped since MLB finally implemented a drug policy that's now actually catching the cheaters.

I didn't mean to hijack the debate of Mickey-Manny, but I don't think you can compare them without mentioning Manny's suspension. Back on topic, let's look at other factors. I like what PG did with the fielding. Mickey played a great center in a big ballpark, Manny played a medicore left in a small ballpark. There's no comparison.

Mickey won three AL MVP awards and finished second three times, which means he was considered one of the two best players in the league six seasons. Manny has never finished higher than third in MVP voting, and only then, a couple of times.

Mickey stole 153 bases in his career (on bad kneees!) and could fly. Manny has stolen 37. Who would you rather have going first to third?

Mickey had over 100 walks 10 times (leading the league five times), which tells you teams did not want to pitch to him. Manny has had 100 walks in only one season.

Mickey had to retire at age 36 because his body wore out. A chemically-enhanced Manny is still playing at 37. Mickey, it should be noted, put up his numbers in one of the greatest pitching eras of all-time while hitting in far more pitcher-friendly ballparks. Manny has benefitted by playing in the greatest hitting era of all-time (in part due to the use of steroids) in an overwhelming number of shiny new hitter-friendly ballparks.

And let's not even talk about the number of World Series championships won by each of them.

Again, I'll take Mickey any day of the week.