Skip to main content

Reply to "This makes for great discussion"

Coach2709: I think you make some very good points. Sometimes people do fixate on the good old days that weren't always so good. My point is that the guys who chose to cheat to further their careers and statistics didn't just do it to past generations. They did it to their peers as well. You know, the guys who made a conscious choice to do things the right way. Many players turned their backs on PEDs because they knew it was wrong. The decision likely cost them years off their careers and money off their contracts, not to mention artificially-inflated statistics. Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure who all the clean guys were and all the cheaters were. I'd love to applaud the guys who did it right. And I'm not so willing to forgive the cheaters like Manny. He was good enough that he didn't have to do it, yet he still did. In the court of public opinion and in the eyes of Hall of Fame voters, McGwire is the first to suffer the repercussions. I hope the others meet the same fate.

Oh, and EH, I love your point. Let's see Manny take a few swings from the left side. Mickey remains the game's greatest switch-hitter.