Skip to main content

Reply to "This makes for great discussion"

I think it's kind of hard to generalize about Mantle's World Series appearances, that was back in a time when the Yankees dominated baseball, and the game was different than played today. Sorry you can not compare the prospects or players of today because of that difference, would these guys have been superstars today, or just regular everyday players?

As time moves forward each generation will view certain time periods and the players involved within those periods differently.

Some of the stories son has repeated from some of his managers and coaches are unbeleivable. These guys in that era were into everything they could get their hands on to make the pain go away, then whatever could help them perform in a game, mainly amphetimines, which is a performance enhancer (yes I remember those uppers way back in college). A large portion of those players from that era were serious alcoholics and showed up drunk before games. They would then await for their hookups to deliver greenies so they could "be up" for the daily game. Many of these guys probably couldn't play the game today with the way they did NOT take care of themselves. I don't think there was even anything called off season training back then. Eek

Was Mantle better than Manny, I don't know, I don't know how you can even compare.
Last edited by TPM