Skip to main content

Reply to "This really bothers me..."

I agree, that part's a lot more tenuous, HB. IIRC, the car was sideswiped and sent into the concrete abuttment and the car wasn't drivable. But wouldn't the 'not drivable' part require some proof? I believe the law is that, except in case of serious injury or death, accident vehicles must be moved to the side of the road; this one was in the fast lane. If the car driver tried but could not get his car to move, that's one thing; if he chose not to move it becuase he was shaken up or nervous, that's something else.

It was a honking great tow truck with flashing lights that other people managed to miss & traffic was light, but how long had the tow truck been there? Was he required to put out warning flares x number of feet before the obstruction? There are some rises on I40 that obstruct a driver's view, how far in advance could a driver see the tow truck's lights? Where was the PD? Granted, it was a single car accident, but it was blocking the fast lane on a major urban highway; how did a tow truck get there before the police (who would have been more concerned with the advanced warnings to traffic than the tow truck driver who was there to pick up the car)?

I believe Hancock did this to himself. His parents didn't do it to him, and they're the ones left to cope with life without their son. Putting myself in their place, I can understand why they're just trying to "do something".