Skip to main content

Reply to "Thoughts on HeadFirst Honor Roll Camps?"

Originally Posted by 2boydad:

MY 2015 went to HF in Rocklin CA, last summer so I can only speak to that one. What he learned at that one was that coaches interest and thus was it worth the $ really depended upon what position you play. He is an outfielder (CF) but  did not get a look or garner much interest from any coaches, every one he could talk to told them that they were only looking for pitchers and SS at that time. To speak to his skill level he is ranked by  Perfect Game an 8/10 High Follow with a 60yrd 6.88 and HTF 3.88-4.0 and 4.0 GPA 2180 SAT.  He has since been working on SS skills and trying to get some play time this fall but he has been pigeoned holed since LL thu HS and even Club as an CF by his coaches becauese of his speed and atletism.  Maybe the college's 2015 needs and therefore interest now are different. 

I sent you a PM but noticed there were others interpreting SS/OF recruiting this way as well. CF is a high vis position, with quite a different skillset than Shortstop. As a 2015, it is way too late to try to learn SS to gain attention from college coaches. You're competing with kids who are highly agile, very athletic, very fast, great hitters, most likely the best players on their teams for years, and have been playing shortstop for 10 years. IMO, the best use of time is work on hitting. A good hitter who is fast and plays CF well will be noticed. It is a mistake to change positions now because SS's get recruited first. It would be extremely unlikely he could catch up at SS to compete for a 'next level' position.