Skip to main content

Reply to "Thoughts on Parenting"

bluesky,

So very, very true. You have struck a cord with me. When I a see a player on the other side (or our side for that matter) make plays, I usually walk over to the other side of the field and congratulate them after the game. Also, when I see a great play, I will usually shout "Nice Play" or something to that effect. This type of encouragement is invaluable IMHO.

I once had an opposing coach walk over and give my son a gameball from his team when at the same time the coach/parent on our team didn't even acknowledge my son played a great game.

In another game we won 14 to 5 - the same parent gave a gameball to the pitcher who gave up five runs in five innings. Nothing against the pitcher in that particular game, but my son had hit a grandslam, drove in nine runs, and made two double plays in the field. He could have at least passed out two game balls. I am sure many can tell these type of stories until they are blue (no pun intended) in the face. I have always hated the politics or sometimes the pettiness involved.