Skip to main content

Reply to "Thoughts/opinions"

luv baseball posted:

My 14 year old was a 5'8" 145lb solid as a rock stud entering HS.  The coach invited him to play summer ball with JV  as a 7th grader after seeing him in one practice.  My father asked me what I thought - I said two things matter and one is up to him and one is up to God.  Dad asked what do mean?  I said will he be 6'3" and put in the work.

He was all district as a Sophomore.  He was done after junior season as a 5'10" 160Lb doubles guy that hit .an honest .425 over 75ish at bats for a team that was ranked in the top 30 in a few national polls.  No interest anywhere in power 5 for a outfielder with slightly above average foot speed and arm and a buttery left handed stroke.  He was so disillusioned by the whole thing I think he faked an arm injury and walked away from the whole thing and passed on his Sr. season.

Funny part is - I never put any pressure on him to play.  He had been told by everyone he played with, against or coaches from 5 to 15 how great he was.  When the other kids became bigger stronger and faster - it was the physical status along with projections that attracted college coaches.  They could see my boy was close to his ceiling and passed.

The point of all of this is - do the work - if God makes you 6'3" or 5'10" you will be what you will be.  Any comparisons to the other guys will be done by guys who get paid to be right.  Play the game and have fun.  You may not realize it but you may have less than 100 games left to see him play.  You cannot know until that day comes how much you will miss it.

Thanks for putting it into perspective for me!  Sometimes it is hard to do that.