Skip to main content

Reply to "Three club SS's on a HS team, where should the HS Coach play them ?"

Buckeye 2015 posted:

My son was an all state SS and also our #1 pitcher his senior year....hit .478 with 4 HR's and 3 K's that season.....but he likely wasn't going to play SS at a D1.  His best option was going to be 3B because of his 90mph arm.  Ended up being a PO  (for now...we'll talk about that later lol) but could just as easily be playing 3B, RF or LF.  He played 3B a lot at 16U thru 18U and was very good at it....but also could hold his own in the OF.....and I really think he still could.  I wouldn't worry about it...chances are your son will be seen by a lot more coaches in the summer anyway.  I would think that if you know a college coach is coming and wants to see your son at SS that your HS coach would let him move over to SS. 

Buck, that's the conversation my son will have in the next few days, and I think that will reinforce, that the coach told him he wouldn't pigeonhole him at 3B, and he'll get his reps at SS.  But to clarify, son is 90 across IF not on mound.  He's 84-86 on mound with effective secondary pitches, the HS coaches were actually looking at him being SP this year and we squashed that...  His defense is strong, you want him on the field, and he doesn't really project as a P in college, maybe as quality secondary guy, but in college he'll likely have less say about where he should be.  Trying to protect the arm so he can pursue his dream of playing in college and whatever...