Skip to main content

Reply to "Throwdown Mechanics"

Rob,
I am not sure what he throws from flat ground. As a general rule, I have seen most players throw from the outfield position at a higher velocity than when they pitch.

My son is a catcher that sometimes pitches when he is called upon. We have seen him cruise at 87-88 in the spring high school season and max out at 91-92 during the summer in relief apperances.

Just following other players, I would assume he can hit 90+ with a crow hop from the outfield based on what he offers from the mound.

I am not being argumentative or even questioning the catching coaches comments, rather I am highly interested in the mechanics that he teaches to deliver that type of velocity. I personally seen several catchers in the midwest that have pretty impressive arms, but no where near the velocity they can deliver from the outfield or other positions.

We have seen some very impressive throws from behind the plate, sometimes at very high velocity. late last fall young son was at a college camp and they recorded his velocity to 2nd base at 84mph. Frankly we thought they had a faulty gun or was a reading something else, becaues he more commonly is somewhere around 77-78 mph to second. I am not educated enough to understand how velocity like this can be repeated consistantly.

I thought I saw that the Catching Coach is coming to Kansas City for a clinic in November, and would like to gain a bit of insight on the mechanics that can produce 95% to 97% of max velocity repeatable from the crouch. If this type of result is commonly attainable from high school aged catchers with proper training, I would very enthusiastically send my son for the clinic.