Skip to main content

Reply to "Throwing Mechanics"

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
quote:
Right foot never moves. Anytime catcher moves his rigt foot, his release time will be slower than mine.

Linear: is what you are saying here that the catcher should simply pivot off a stationary right foot after catching the ball to throw down?

Yes. But that right foot has to be in the right spot.

quote:
Am I misunderstanding what you mean here?

No.

quote:
A catcher should never get up on his haunches. You are much quicker from the lower stance. Whether blocking or throwing.

If you stay in the "no base runner" stance (your words) your right foot is in the exact spot it needs to be.

quote:
By this do you mean that the catcher should not have a different stance when a man is on base vs. when bases are empty?

Yes

quote:
This, too I have never heard from any catching coach my son has worked with.

Doesn't surprise me. Yet, they teach it to everyone else. Infielders use my technique routinely. Is the shortstop, trying to make a play from the hole under any more stress than a catcher trying to throw a runner out? They act like throwing from the catching position is different than throwing from any other position. Throwing is throwing. The load/unload of the pelvic area is where it's at when talking quick releases.

Stand at homeplate, shoulders in line with 2B and Home, facing 1B, athletic position, feet spread......now turn and throw to 2B with noting more than a short jab step with the left foot.(don't really need that). MOST can not get the ball there with any thing on it. I can get it there with everything on it. I know how to load/unload my pelvis. Any and all linear action a catcher takes to throw to 2B reduces his pop time. Be the gyroscope!!!

quote:
Nor is it the approach that I see when I watch MLB catchers. Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

This summarizes the entire point. The "lost" claim my technique requires a very strong arm. Yet, I can produce 2.0 and under pop times with it............and a 75mph arm. Notice how no one will answer the question about whether a 75mph arm is a strong arm.

The "facts" are, mlb players can use the technique they do because of the strength of their arms.

However, I would love to have an audience with one of them one time. He just might become the greatest throwing catcher ever.
Last edited by Linear