Skip to main content

Reply to "Throwing too much versus not throwing enough"

quote:
GBM,
Perhaps you haven't explained yourself too well, causing misunderstanding, not just for me. Your posts indicated that to build your son's arm strength, you had him throwing max effort each time he took to the mound, off the mound and you do not beleive that long toss develops arm strength? You do also allow him to pitch in one game and another on teh same day? You gave the impression, unless I am wrong, after spending time on the mound or at the field, he still came home to throw in the backyard.

Whenever any kid or person for that matter takes the mound they are going to throw at or near max velocity- that much is a given. Arm strength and health in my opinion comes from performing at or near max effort.

quote:
I or anyone else here does not have the answers, the commonality is all of it is all common sense.

I agree fully. Common sense and riding out feelings and impressions is still the best tool. I have gone into games after son has pitched to 1-2 batters and yanked him because I "felt" impressed that he was a little fatigued or sore or had something bothering him.

At the age he is at, he is pefectly capable of throwing in back to back games in the same day as long as he is not sore or fatigued and keeps an overall low pitch count. I do not advocate throwing 50+ pitches in one game and then turn around and throw 50 more.

And yes- after he does pitch he comes home and throws some. I find nothing wrong with that as long as his arm is healthy and strong (not fatigued). This is all in relation to his age and effort of coarse. I would not advocate this if son just threw 75+ pitches at pro velocity level (high 80's to mid 90's) in a game.