Skip to main content

Reply to "Tiger Woods King Of All Sports?"

quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy03:
Baseball was already "America's pasttime, pre-Ruth.

As much as I hate to consider it, I believe Pele did more to popularize his sport than any other on the list.

Pre-Pele, s***er was unheard of in part os the US except in boys PE. Pele took it from a third world sport to truly international levels and he caused the media attention, not other way around.
S0ccer was the biggest sport in the world before Pele was born. Pele played in his first World Cup in 1957. The first World Cup was held in 1930.

Pele was America's first exposure to the US due to Wide World of Sports. But s0ccer didn't catch on in the US on the youth level until the '80's or '90's. It still hasn't caught on as a professional sport. I wonder how many people can name five current s0ccer players other than Beckham without looking them up? How many people could name five s0ccer teams other than Manchester United without looking them up?

The season record for home runs before Ruth was 14. He changed the game.

From 1920 to 1932, generally regarded as Ruth's prime years, average attendance at baseball games declined and the game did not spread internationally.

During Pele's career, average attendance increased and the game spread internationally.

True the world cup existed prior to Pele, but few outside of traditional (at the time) s****r countries knew much about it.

Another difference of opinion we won't resolve.
Last edited by Jimmy03