Skip to main content

Reply to "Time off prior to high school freshmen ball"

I have a 2017.  LOVES baseball - spent a weekend this summer sulking in a Lazy Boy when his tournament was completely rained out.  

Since the beginning of December 2013 he worked out with his club team through February, played High School in the spring, summer league for his HS, played for a club team in June and July  and filled in for another team in a 6 game tournament in the beginning of August.  .

While he would not admit it he was physically and mentally due a baseball rest.  

My suggestion is to have your son play other sports over the fall & winter.  Take the fall off from baseball - play soccer, football, water polo or golf, run cross country, swim - anything but baseball.  The body and mind need a break from baseball for a few months.  The best baseball players are frequently those who play other sports. Good baseball players need to have experiences where they are not the best players on the field or court. Humbles them.

My son played football, basketball and baseball for his school this past year (school size is 1400 students).  He had the best baseball season of his life (hitting and pitching).  He is playing football this fall.  Basketball is out as there is no longer a "B" team.  But he most likely will play rec league and church league basketball this winter.

Let the boy rest and play something else.  My two cents.  Probably not worth one.