Skip to main content

Reply to "Time To End Grieving. Reset."

"Generally speaking I think Josh Rudd has right in it is time to find plan B...except for his comment that HS needs to find a way to add a 5th year option. That I found funny, in a perfect world maybe but in our world there is a better chance of being hit by lightning while inside your home!!" -- @old_school

I 100% agree with you that I'm more likely to get struck by lightning. Like many people on here, my background is in education. (FSU College of Education grad -- GO NOLES!) My wife is a teacher, too. Together we have 20+ years in the system with teaching & administrative experience (I know many of you crush our 20+ years... but we're moving along).

By no means does my blog express that I anticipate schools to come up with a fifth-year option, but I absolutely believe they have a responsibility to, at the very least, discuss this possibility. And as mentioned, it needs to be focused on the education while the athletics is a bonus. There are so many non-athletes being denied acceptance because colleges are overcrowded with athletes sticking around.

I'm going to offer up some tiny ideas that hopefully get the smarter people to brainstorm and expand on a Class of 5.0 structure. I think there are places (albeit an extreme minority) that can make something happen, mainly in smaller towns.