Skip to main content

Reply to "Time to get nervous about Ivy and/or D3 HA?"

The numbers lend themselves to D3 far more than D1 (Ivy). I’m guessing Ivy League competition and ranked D3 is far better baseball than you understand. There are a couple of ranked D3s nearby. Their pitchers are in in the 85-90 range. Anyone throwing any lower has such great command they can knock a zit of a gnat’s ass.

D3 ball can vary from very competitive and being able to beat a lower end D1 with their top pitcher to all bodies welcome. Your son wants to put himself in a position where the coach wants him to apply ED and is willing to help get him through admissions.

Here’s an example of a delusion you don’t want. One of the kids I mentored fell for this despite my warnings. It was a HA competitive D3. They competed on the fringe of the top twenty-five. The coach told the kid if he gets accepted he’s on the team. The kid was confident he would get accepted without help. He did. He was excited he was on the team.

The team had an unlimited roster. In four years the kid got about twenty-five at bats and never traveled for away games. The kid’s family had money. He was a full pay. The coach probably got a bonus for luring a full pay athlete to campus.

The upside is he got a great education. His parents could afford the school. He’s been successful professionally post college. But baseball was nothing more than making friends.

Last edited by RJM