Skip to main content

Reply to "Time to get nervous about Ivy and/or D3 HA?"

Hi BaseballDadBig4. When I look at the people who've responded, they are all people I've learned a lot from over the years when I was figuring out my 2023 MIF.  I currently have a 2025 LHP who has similar grades. 1480 PSAT. 6ft, 190lbs, plays on a top 30 travel team.  We did a Showball, AZ Fall Classic, big PG tourneys last year.  He was throwing 82-85 all year. He had exactly 3 D1 schools have single conversations with him and no offers.  I know he is on a bunch of D3 follow lists.  Maybe he's on some D1 lists but if so, he's in that group of 50-200 players below their top tier of desired players.

He was 85-87 this winter before he hurt himself.  Unfortunately it will now be late summer before he throws again... if we're lucky.

I suspect the Ivy have almost all got their 2025 position player spots figured out.  Pitching recruiting is more flexible and can be later.  But I think you HAVE TO find out his current velocity to know whether or not a D1 is possible.  That said, I think you would probably know if he was 85+ currently.  In high school, particularly if you are in a non-metro area, 85+ blows the doors off most hitters.

So I suspect he is in the D3 pool which is just fine.  Honestly, I learned with my 2023 MIF that finding the school that fits his academic goals; and where he will actually play; is the most important thing.  With 2025, it was a bit hard because he is a D1/D3 "tween'r" but I suspect the injury will help figure it out for him.

My observations have been a smart 6'2" RHP at 83+ with good stuff can find a place at a HA D3 if you go to Headfirst/Showball/PTW.

Good luck!