Skip to main content

Reply to "Times are A-Changing... For the Better"

I see a little conflict here and another post.  What about how good Old School Coaching is?  You know, no pain no gain, you gotta hurt a little to be a good, you'll feel better with a W?  I'm not for this but this goes with that old school coaching mentality just like the yelling and abuse  on another thread.  How is it okay to be a good coach and be FIRM with players even to the extent of abuse but not be okay to tell a player to play through it?  We preach everyone should have the player's best interest at heart but that is not always the case.  This become a touchier subject when you add in the fact that today's kids are just not as tough as they used to be.  They grew up on the couch rather than playing all day outside.  Plus many have learned that if they complain a little about being hurt they will not have to continue to go through training.  There is a fine line between making them tough and hurting them.  I don't think a player should ever be encouraged to play through pain in any situation, even if you think they are lying.  I don't know how many arms began to hurt after they gave up a home run but I always pulled them.  I do see the Old School mindset still thinks players can play through a little pain, which could be a major concussion like we did back in the DAY.