Skip to main content

Reply to "Timing pitcher's stride"

Originally Posted by BOF:

I am not too sure about this. Effective pitching is a summation of a bunch of complex movements ending with the release of the baseball. I am not sure I would want a pitcher thinking about generating the fastest stride to generate velocity. These may be touch points, but pitchers need "keys" that trigger them to repeat a delivery that is consistent and effective.At least for my son it is about drive foot placement, hip drive in a very specific way, landing foot position, arm break, glove side placement, and some other arm touch points. If simply driving to the plate faster equals higher velocity then everyone would just have to leap to the plate as fast as they could and they would throw hard. 

I am not sure if I understand what would be done with the data to change behavior, and how it would be implemented. I am not an expert just an observer, but it seems like there are a lot of other things to focus on.  

big leaguers are around .7 seconds so that is a goal.  But they also have longer strides so that is part of the equation as well.  I would challenge them to beat their own numbers while maintaining their mechanics.  And if you think about it pitching is kind of a lateral leap.  And there is a lot of data showing lateral jump has a direct correlation to velocity.