Skip to main content

Reply to "Timing pitcher's stride"

Originally Posted by BOF:

Roothog,

I get what you are saying but say the difference between a fast stride vs a slow stride is what in MPH? 1 or 2 at max. So if I take a guy with a whip who snaps it at 100 vs 98 does this make a lot of difference? I don't see it. Certainly part of the teaching on throwing hard is about tempo. 

Again I am not sure, but having been around pitchers and instructors for quite some time I am not sure how you are gong to measure this and then how are you going to implement meaningful change. 

Again I believe it can be more than 2mph.  But if all other things are well refined it may be as little as 2 I suppose.  How big of a difference is that?  Huge.  In mlb the offensive production dips significantly from 95 to 97.  If you are a hs pitcher looking to be recruited by a good D1 the difference between 89 and 91 would be huge.  Only in mlb is there a 'zone' where velocity doesn't seem to make much difference.  From about 90 to 94 doesn't seem to make a huge statistical difference.  Probably a lot of reasons for this beginning with the guy who only throws 90 is probably mlb because of incredible control or a wicked curveball etc.  Also theory has it because there are so many pitchers in that range they are used to seeing it and that is the hitters timing sweetspot.