Skip to main content

Reply to "Timing pitcher's stride"

Originally Posted by younggun:

Brent doesn't talk about getting faster per se, his big thing is having the strength in the legs and core to be more explosive and increasing stride length due to that explosiveness. My son went to work with him for a week a couple years ago. We never fully implemented his techniques as we didn't have access to proper weight training. He believes heavily in Olympic lifts. I was afraid to have son do these without proper instruction and guidance. I will tell you that doing his medicine ball drills and working on increasing stride length definitely made a difference. This is very non-scientific, but I have watched my son pitch his entire life. When everything is sequenced correctly and his stride is long, he looks much more effortless. Our big takeaway is to use your lower half maximally. I believe that most everyone agrees this will reduce stress on arm. I'm not pushing his site, but the info would be explained much better there than what I am doing.

And the key to that correlation between stride length and velocity is due to the fact that longer strides generally promote faster movement downhill.  Theoretically if you moved further down the hill but at the same speed there would be no velocity gain.  Think of it like putting.  You are supposed to keep a count in you head like one thousand one on the back stroke and one thousand two on the finish.  Keeping that mental clock means all you have to do is bring the putter back further and the speed of the putter  increases because the putter covers more ground in the same amount of time.