Skip to main content

Reply to "Timing pitcher's stride"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Assuming this is something that has basis in fact and is worthwhile, here’s where I have reservations. For every coach who fully understands it and has the capacity to teach it correctly, there’s gonna be 100 who try but teach it wrong, and 1,000 dads or players who try to do it on their own and really get it mucked up. So what happens to those players who get poor instruction or do it incorrectly on their own?

Is this the next magic potion to gain velocity, the cause of a new wave of pitching injuries, or something in between? Personally I don’t know because it’s a new thought to me, but I have to say that after many years on this earth I lean much more toward being careful than going into it full blast.

OK, let me ask you this. You keep a lot of detailed stats that are quirte useful to those who have the experience and knowledge to make use of them. However, in inexperienced hands (even some coaches) they could be misused for purposes that hurt the team effort. Do you propose that you wouldn't share them or keep them for that reason? Should we not talk about using certain tools of our trade (pitching instruction) becauseit's possible that they could be used by less experienced coaches and parents who might not understand them and might actually do more harm than good? I really believe that's not how information should work.