Skip to main content

Reply to "Timing pitcher's stride"

Originally Posted by BOF:

Jolieboy,

I took a look at the video and explanation and it pretty much highlights my concern about just timing speed down the mound and comparing that to out of hand velo. There are all kinds of mechanical adjustments that need to be made to produce good mechanics, which RESULT in higher down the mound velocity, not the other way around. Just focusing on timing and trying to go faster with bad mechanics does nothing to improve a pitcher. Fixing the real problem, (which is likely less than optimal mechanics) should be the priority and as PGStaff pointed out earlier timing is critical for optimal velocity. 

No mechanical change is made in a vacuum. However, there isn't a lot of mechanics involved in, "do what you're doing, just do it faster," Myself, I am going to fix other things (assuming they need fixing) first, then work on speed down the mound. It really is just a matter of "be more explosive and quicker down the hill." Then look to see if that has changed any timing or mechanics. If so, it's now a matter of engraining those good mechanics back into my pitchers new timing. I wouldn't want anyone to think I just grab a pitcher and start working on decreasing his move down the mound. "Faster down the mound" is just an augmentation to already sound mechanics. My point is that those guys throwing higher velocity are indeed (most, at least) getting downhill faster than those who don't. That makes it, to me, an important component to high level velocity.