Skip to main content

Reply to "Timing pitcher's stride"

Originally Posted by BOF:

Jolieboy,

I took a look at the video and explanation and it pretty much highlights my concern about just timing speed down the mound and comparing that to out of hand velo. There are all kinds of mechanical adjustments that need to be made to produce good mechanics, which RESULT in higher down the mound velocity, not the other way around. Just focusing on timing and trying to go faster with bad mechanics does nothing to improve a pitcher. Fixing the real problem, (which is likely less than optimal mechanics) should be the priority and as PGStaff pointed out earlier timing is critical for optimal velocity. 

I love to debate and discuss baseball but when I sense it is turning into an argument I usually opt out.  I DON'T want to turn this into an argument but I must admit to a certain level of frustration.  I am not sure what I have said to give anybody the impression that I feel mechanics are unimportant and all you have to do is speed down the mound.  And discussing what comes first the chicken or the egg is silly to me.  Of course it is the mechanics that lead to the speed.  I just don't know what else to say.  I assure you I read and study baseball (mostly pitching) every day of my life.  I don't pretend to be the best but I can assure you I am not a hack either.  So I welcome any and all suggestions but please realize that I do not focus solely on any one 'magic bullet'