Skip to main content

Reply to "Timing pitcher's stride"

PG - have studied both quite a bit...there are similarities, and some big differences....and when you break down video and watch it at real time speed, and frame by frame, many will see what they want / think they see, so you really have to break it down as objectively as possible.  I think Kershaw is a classic example of letting pitchers know that except for very few pitchers the leg lift, up to its apex is of very little benefit...Fernando Rodney is another example...Kershaw could eliminate his leg lift, and just start like Rodney with his foot just barely off the ground then stride.  Bumgarner is as rotational of a pitcher as there is, and IMO that is why he is such a low effort / free and easy guy.  They have different arm angles, Kershaw more over the top, while Madison has a lower arm slot..  IMO because Madison activates his back hip more than Kershaw, he looks to use less effort for similar MPH. 

See below for what I am talking about regarding how rotational Bumgarner is vs. Kershaw...basically at the same point in their delivery. 

Another thing I think both do well, however I again think Madison does better is activate his back hip firing around his front hip...which gives him greater hip / shoulder separation IMO...

Kershaw 1

Bumgarner 1

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Kershaw 1
  • Bumgarner 1