Skip to main content

Reply to "To all the parents of college players..."

I agree completely with "hokieone" and others who say "it's too early to know".

I've told this story before, but will repeat it again for those who might have missed it.

One of my older sons was one of the best players I have seen from 9 to 19 years old. He signed with the Cincinnati Reds and was out of baseball after one year.

My youngest son was the very worst player on his team from youth leagues to sophomore in high school.

He got better his junior and senior years, but was not recruited by any colleges and was not drafted. He was throwing about 84 mph at the time. He took the one offer that was given and went to junior college.

Then he was drafted by the Yankees and quickly became one of their top prospects not far behind Jeter.

He then was selected in the first round of the expansion draft by the Diamondbacks.

The same kid who was the worst player on all his youth league teams made his Major League debut in front of some 50,000 fans at age 22.

He is recovering from an arm injury now, but has been in professional baseball since 1994. He has pitched in the Big Leagues for the D'backs, Yankees and Brewers last year.

When he was 14 years old, I was hoping he would get good enough to contribute in high school.