Skip to main content

Reply to "To Cut, Or Not To Cut.....?"

I am absolutely amazed at the responses this post has garnered, and while I think it has gone astray into some personal attacks between posters that don't need to happen, I still think there are some valid points being made.

I will say this to a couple of posts: Dub-L-Play, you are entitled to your opinion of me. But I don't really appreciate your attacks on me, impugning my motives and my religious beliefs. "You know it is wrong, and if you don't you should. You see HS sports is about the players, not the Coach. That is where you and I differ." Really? This is what you KNOW about me from me posting this question and reflecting on the options? Well, certainly is a good thing that you aren't as judgmental as I apparently am.

"You know deep down what you're doing is not in line with the Catholic philosophy, or just a sense of decency towards this kid." Please feel free to quote that philosophy for me.

'Are you going to tell him why he was cut? or Are you going to say he wasn't good enough. That's what I would like to know." Maybe now I am reading between the lines, but I take that as another shot at me and that you are presuming I won't tell him the truth. Sorry, no. If he was to be cut, he would be told EXACTLY why I made that decision. I don't play those kinds of games, though you are free to create your own twisted opinion of the kind of person I am. In fact, you've already "tweaked" the situation to fit the conclusion that you've drawn about me.

"This kid will remember it, his team mates (your players) and future players will not forget it." Unfortunately, every kid I've ever had to cut "remembers" it, now don't they? And most of them DON'T LIKE IT! So what, now I'm supposed to never cut anyone for any reason because they will disagree with my reason for cutting them? I can't do that. I have to make my decision and then live with the fact that whoever I cut will be unhappy with my decision.

"Strange it is that TCB1 has no feelings what-so-ever" -- I'm not sure where you get this. If I had no feelings what so ever why would I be working through this while I consider my options? The point you are missing is that the EASY thing would be to just keep him and not worry about next year; but this has been a program I've built over 15 years and I take it's life and it's future well-being very seriously. I want to do what is, first and foremost, good for this school's program, and the needs of the individuals (mine and the players) comes in after that.

Both you and Dub-L have commented that I've made up my mind and I'm just trying to justify my decision...again, presumptious on your part and completely wrong. I am searching for the answers that will help me make the best decision when the time comes, and I am working through it slowly. What purpose is served by you making a judgment about my motives and my ethics when in fact I have not done anything yet but investigate the situation?

I am asking for no one's permission or blessing; I did ask for people's input. Feel free to give me your input and what you would do, but I'd appreciate it if you'd leave the personal attacks at home.

To feed you all some more information:

Found out today that the player in question has withdrawn his registration fee from our school, and has paid it for next year at the other school. Before some of you get suspicious, the office knows this because the school was asked to simply transfer the funds from our school to the other; which they did.

The player in question went to a feeder school that feeds primarily to the OTHER school where he will be transferring. Although we certainly do get students from that school, geographically speaking most of those kids are closer to the other school and go there. I don't know why his family chose to send him to our school. I know his mom graduated from the other school.

PERHAPS one of the reasons the young man is leaving our school is because another student, who he was friends with, transferred at Christmas break to a local public school. Maybe the loss of one of his friends was the final straw in his wish to move to the other school.

Finally, I still don't get those who say there is no question and you "just keep the most talented players"...I have NEVER just kept the most talented players. I look beyond JUST the talent and look at all the other relevant factors and intangibles. I don't think I would keep the most talented player if I knew he was involved in another activity at the same time and would miss a lot of practices and games....I would keep the less talented player who would be there every game.

Next step is to talk to the parents and find out their plans, and then determine whether their ultimate plans will have any bearing on my decision. Thanks for everyone's input.
Last edited by TCB1