Skip to main content

Reply to "To Cut, Or Not To Cut.....?"

quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:

My point is just because a player will not be in your program the next season for whatever reason does not stop you from helping that player be the best player he can be. It does not stop you from working with him , coaching him , teaching him , mentoring him and making a positive impact on his life and his baseball career. If this young man is talented enough to help his team win this year then you owe it to him and his team mates to allow him to do just that. You rise above the feelings that are only natural in a situation like this. "Scr_w it if he is going to transfer I'm not going to waste my time on him."

The fact is you don't have to cut anyone that you believe deserves to be in your program if you keep him. You show your other players in your program that you are bigger than this situation and you care about every player even if they don't intend to be in your program the next season.

I have helped many players from opposing teams over the years. They don't play for me. I am not their coach. But they are a baseball player and I am a baseball coach. And that is all that really matters. You help them anyway you can and you rise above these petty politics. Coach this is just my opinion and regardless of what you decide to do I wish you well.

Good stuff Coach May, really good, compassionate and caring, that's what players look back on as they move up the ladder, that one special coach with that attitude sticks with them for life. Not whether he was the best coach or not, but what he did to help him to reach his goals along the way, even for one season.

Anyone thing that perhaps to that parent, it doesn't matter, it may not even matter to the player either, that's why it came out as early as it did, and I don't think the player should be penalized if the parent is determined to transfer their child to another program, regardless of the reasons. I think this is a very hard decision and yes, one has to do what they need to for that one year, or perhaps over look other circumstances and feel as Caoch May does, that is what seperates good coaches from really great ones, no matter what level you are talking about. Speaking to them aobut the situation is good if that helps to make the decision for you.
One good point is, especially in private school situations, how do you know from year to year who will be there next year or not? I don't think that should be a part of the reason not to select a player. JMO.