Skip to main content

Reply to "Is my kid too young to enter high school?"

I'm late to this post but I can tell you I lived the late birthday student. Kids birthday isn't until Oct 1 and graduated at 17. He had played up two years from the time that he went into high school just to make him play faster and stronger. He was 5'6" when he graduated but that season he finished with a .478 BA, 5 HR's and helped his team go to the state championship with a guy that went first round in 2012. He got no looks. Academically he graduated with a 3.7. "HE" made the decision to attend a JUCO, mainly to keep himself draft eligible. Went to a D! JUCO and saw great competition. Finished the season with a .376 BA, 2 HR, and 28 for 32 in stolen bases. Had a huge growth spurt to 5'9", LOL. One questionnaire. Not drafted. This past season he had another huge growth spurt, one whole inch but he pumped up to 190 lbs. He hit .417 in the same conference with 7 HR and was 28 for 28 in stolen bases. Student-Athlete of the year at his school graduating with a 4.0, Player of the year in his conference, Gold Glove recipient as well and also All-American. Filled out about 17 questionnaires, had 7 pre draft workouts and was not drafted because he was not interested in the offers they were putting on the table. In his mind he figured he would give it another year. He figured why not try to improve slot position. I said all that not to brag but to say this. If you hold him back or let him advance, whatever is for him in the future he will attain it. BTW, scouts were a little disappointed that my son didn't start his career now professionally but one was completely honest with him and told him that because of his birthday he will still be considered young in their eyes. Good luck to your son on his journey. My best advice to you is to just sit back, enjoy the ride and soak up the memories. It will become a business soon enough.