Skip to main content

Reply to "To sign or not to sign: The Pros and Cons of NLI"

No one forced her to commit to Akron when she was fifteen. She signed the NLI after visiting Akron and coming away with red flag feelings. Whose fault is it she committed, then signed?

Without NLI’s how would coaches know how many players they have? Whose fault would it be if a player refuses to sign an NLI and shows up at the school to find out there isn’t roster space? 

I believe if a coach leaves or the school gets placed on probation a NLI should be voided. I don’t believe schools should be allowed to make offers before the start of junior year. But otherwise it’s how business is done. The process would be mayhem without the NLI. Not releasing players protects game playing. 

My daughter received offers the summer after freshman year. She decided to commit in the spring of soph year. I asked her several times over several days, “Are you sure this is where you want to go?” She wasn’t signing an NLI yet. But she was essentially taking her name off the table. 

She didn’t have to sign so early. But maybe the offer isn’t there in a year or two. Her decision was more academic than athletic. 

Last edited by RJM