Skip to main content

Reply to "To sign or not to sign: The Pros and Cons of NLI"

There is so much pressure these days put on athletes (and non-athletes) to do whatever is necessary to get into college.  Add to that the cost to attend a good college and the pressure is additive.  My niece after freshman year was in a funk because most of her highly competitive travel softball teammates had given verbals and she had sporadic interest.  Within 6 months she gave her verbal to a very good D1 program with top academics.  My concern is how can a "kid" at 13 - 16 yrs old be expected to know where in several years down the line have any idea what a "fit" is?  It will be up to the parents to determine what THEY THINK will be the best fit for the athlete, and we all know how that goes when parents make life changing decisions for their child.  One of the biggest fears is that if I pass this offer up there may not be a better one, or this one will no longer be available.  Yes this whole process favors the college (NCAA) and the athlete has limited choices once the process begins.  There will always be reasons (valid/speculative) for buyers remorse  3-4 years later from a kid who today has trouble deciding what color top goes with this bottom.  I guess take home message would be things happen for a reason, don't second guess and look back, trust in the process, and once verbal/NLI are given get ready for a whole new experience.