Skip to main content

Reply to "Tom House"

I don't know if I buy the whole "youth curveball" caused my kid to have TJ at 14..... Is there real evidence that the motion for CBs are more stressful than FBs??

It just always sounded like a parental cop out to me. From my experience, it's much more likely little Johnny threw at least 20 to 40 pitches on Saturday, then turned around and threw an additional 80 to 100 pitches on Sunday (by the way, all these pitches were at MAX effort). He did this almost every weekend over a 40 to 60 game season at the ages of 8, 9, 10, 11,  12, 13, 14, then pop goes his elbow. And by the way as a former youth travel ball dad/coach by default, that scenario is on the very minimal side of things. Heck the most I've seen is a little over 200 pitches in a weekend. That kid threw 140ish against us in the championship game (he had closed every game that weekend).

My belief is that the combination of overuse and % of max effort pitches thrown is much more correlated to youth arm injuries then the age at which CBs are first thrown. May I'm wrong, but if a major league pitcher doesn't do it, what on earth makes you think a 10 year can?