Skip to main content

Reply to "Tommy John...again."

Thanks to everyone for your kind and supportive words.  Younggun, I am wishing your son all the best and thinking good thoughts for him every step of the way.  As a mom, it is helpful for me to hear perspectives from dads.  My husband hasn't said a lot but I know he is really struggling with this.  After all those years of playing catch together day after day, it broke my heart  to hear him say maybe it just wasn't meant to be.  Our son does seem to be taking it fairly well.   It helps that the coaches are supportive and still envision a future for him on the team.  He has a 4-year scholarship so the investment is already there.  The plan is to have his original surgeon, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, look at the MRI and give a second opinion on PRP vs TJ revision.  If the latter, son will have it done right away at Stanford Medicine at no charge to us with the goal of coming back at some point during the 2019 season. If he can make it back, he has 3 years of eligibility remaining - possibly 4 if he can get a medical hardship waiver.  If he stays in school that long, he is thinking maybe he can even graduate with a master's degree.  He's always been a really academically oriented kid and can envision life beyond baseball.  I think he just isn't ready to give up on the dream of playing in college.  Hopefully it is in the cards for him but I am way past taking anything for granted.  Thanks again for the support - I love HSBBW.  I will keep you posted!