Skip to main content

Reply to "Tommy John...again."

Kyle Boddy posted:

Is your son a candidate for internal brace repair? See if he can be referred to Dr. Dugas or Dr. Poletta. Faster comeback. May not be possible with an existing graft, but all options are worth exploring.

ETR as a Father of a kid who had surgery last year I can empathize with you totally. I blamed myself and was angry at others about it. But I thought I'd share our experience for what it's worth if it maybe helps. 

My 2019 will be 6 months post Internal Brace Repair surgery by Dr. Dugas on March 8th. He is doing well with his long toss program and is out close to 200'. His HS tryouts are Monday March 5th and he feels ready. He even went to the Harvard baseball camp last weekend (3B, not Pitcher) which was a great confidence boost for him. Stil some challenges ahead I know, but I can conservatively say that the outcome of the surgery he had seems to be on course and progressing well and that Dr. Dugas and his staff have been awesome throughout the process. And I'd be remiss not to thank Kyle for his suggestion to get a closed MRI w/arthrogram and consult with Dr. Dugas and let him do the surgery if he felt my son would be a good candidate. That is the key--not everyone is a good candidate. The tear must be at the end of the ligament and it must not be too damaged. He won't know for sure until opening up and physically looking at the ligament and surrounding tissue. If it's not good enough he would do the full TJ and I would completely trust him with that as well.

I wish the best for you and your son. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about our experience. Happy to share what we've learned.

Last edited by 2019&21 Dad