Skip to main content

Reply to "Tommy John Surgery Results"

My son had TJ surgery this past March '07 as a HS Junior (class of '08). I can tell you his experiences thus far. He is in his 5th almost 6 month since surgery. His rehab has gone quite well. His surgery was performed by Dr. Andrews (Birmingham, Al) on 3/22/07. He was given a rehab protocol from Dr. Andrews staff that he has been following 3 days a week. In mid July (4 months out of surgery) he had his check up with the Dr. to check his progress and sign off to begin interval throwing program. That went well and my son has been doing the long toss Phase 1 program to date. The next phase 2 program is throwing off the mound. We anticipate that starting in about 1 more week. That phase could take an estimated 3-4 months before he can return to competitive throwing. We were told that the average recovery to begin competitive throwing would be 11 months. My son has done well and has worked hard. As long as you follow the protocol and not push it, your son I hope will have the same results. He has had a few coaches that were interested in him prior to his injury that saw him Fall of '06. They are staying in touch with a few calls and emails but not too often. They know his situation and we feel that they still have interest but are not going to commit until they see him throw again. I am also interested in other posts as well. I hope college coaches will respond to see how they feel about recruiting a player that has has this surgery. Good luck to you and your son!