Skip to main content

Reply to "Tommy John Surgery Results"

quote:
follow the protocol and not push it,

Son had surgery with Dr. Andrews March 2005. I chose to highlight the above statement made by Piratefan as I would classify it THE most important component in a successful recovery. Sometimes it is also the hardest to abide to, because your son might be feeling GREAT with no pain and want to push forward....but he has to remember NO!!! Follow protocal to a "t", IMO.

Hardest obstacle and/or setback? For my son, as a position player and not a pitcher, was that everything is geared towards a pitcher in the rehab and also the expectations. "Physically" he was ready to return to the field about 12 months out of surgery. All the rehab had been done to the letter. So his arm was fine. BUT...what no one (including us) took into account was being AWAY FROM THE GAME for a year. He is a catcher, so involved in every throw of the pitch. Blocking needed time, mechanics needed time, HITTING needed time, muscle memory reflexes needed time, pacing needed time....but a college coach isn't going to wait around "to give time" when winning and losing is on the line, and there are back-ups eagerly waiting on the bench. So, as an everyday position player, that first collegiate season back was a bust for him. That was the toughest part he encountered in the whole rehab.... US TOO! You think you do everything "right"....but some things in the recovery you just need to be in a game and play to work out.

Good news....came back the following season, and all's been good. Stronger and healthier than ever. PM me if you need any more info. Smile
Last edited by luvbb