Skip to main content

Reply to "Tommy John Surgery Results"

You are getting some good information here. I'll add a few things.

My son had TJ surgery in 2000. It happened in the Major Leagues when pitching for the Yankees. He threw 6 innings and was brought back into the game after a hour and a half rain delay in Chicago against the White Sox. Also we personally know lots of pitchers who have had TJ surgery and some we saw for the first time after they rehabbed from this surgery. I’ll try to answer your questions the best that I can.

1) I would like to hear how your rehab went as you proceeded through the different stages of therapy.
This is a question that only the person who had the surgery can truly answer. However I’m fairly certain that there will be many different answers. It’s a slow process, but the rehab time has shortened somewhat in the last few years. My guess is that the shorter rehab time is a result of better rehab techniques rather than improved surgery techniques, but I don't know that for sure. Typically it’s a year off in most cases. Some say it took them two years to get back to 100%.

2) I would like to hear about the ups and downs you went through as you progressed in your therapy.
Same answer as #1.

3) When you started to throw competitive again and with what results. How was your velosity and control affected.
We have seen velocity increases and decreases. Sometimes mechanics are changed. In my son’s case, he actually changed his mechanics and specifically his arm angle. (he went from low 3/4 to high 3/4) His velocity went down and so did his control. He changed a lot of things and it took him about three years to get back to anything normal. I do suspect he came back too soon. The elbow stayed healthy, but he started having shoulder problems.

4) Would also like to hear about any setbacks and what caused them ( training to hard or to little ).
See answer to #4. Most setbacks are a result of rushing the return.

5) Last would like to hear from coaches such as college or pro scouts and people that run show cases on how they veiw players who have had this surgery.
We view players who have had TJ surgery the same as anyone who hasn't had the surgery. In some ways it becomes a benefit in the eyes of scouts. First TJ surgery is obviously much more common than second TJ surgery. So those who haven’t had the surgery are “more” likely to have it in the future than those who have had it. A successful return from TJ surgery can actually be looked at favorably or at worse equal to others. We see players as they are at the time we see them. Then again, scouts are going to want to see the medical records and history anytime there is surgery involved of any kind. This surgery has become very common and baseball people are not as leery as they used to be about those who have had it.

Hope that is at least a little help. Best of luck and don’t rush it.