Skip to main content

Reply to "Tommy John Surgery Results"

quote:
My son had Tommy John surgery on Monday, he is still very sore right now. I would be interested in hearing from people who are familiar with this surgery. My son is 18 years old and a college freshman. Any rough esitmates on how long before they get to feeling rather human again?

Momof5...I am sure everyone is different in this respect. Some have higher (or lower) pain thresholds and respond differently. It also depends WHERE the ligament was taken from...wrist vs. leg. My son had to have the ligament taken from the leg, which required an overnight stay in the hospital...if it had been from the wrist, it would have been done outpatient (albeit a VERY LONG outpatient day!). We were told by Dr. Andrews that initially post-op there is more pain and discomfort when the ligament is taken from the leg, and upon waking up..it is the leg where the first pain is apparent to the patient....and boy was THAT true! I can attest that my son looked like the walking wounded those first few days with both the arm and leg in braces, bandages and crutches. However, after only a few days (including a flight from Birmingham to Philly the day after surgery) he was looking and feeling much better...altho do not misinterpret...not NEARLY 100%. I would say within 2 weeks MOST of the pain had subsided and he got used the the IMMENSE bandages, the brace and the immobility. If you son only had the surgery on Monday (and today is Thursday) he is well within the confines of still feeling fairly beat up.
Last edited by luvbb