Skip to main content

Reply to "Tommy John Surgery Results"

i'm not one to talk about my son's on here, but i'm going to.i hope i don't bore you.this is our own success story.not a really great one but i'll share in hopes it may help someone.

my son is a lhp,he had elbow pain pitching for a local juco.he was originally diagnosed with a "tired arm". so he shut it down for about 6 weeks.his juco made it to the ws and he could only hit.still felt pain when he threw hard. was still drafted in 06 not a blue chip draft pick,but he still couldn't throw hard without pain. they gave him an mra and discovered a ucl tear. after that they released him. he had surgery on 7/20 in birmingham. the toughest part was the rehabing alone. by that i mean not belonging to a team. he was not interested in more school,allthough he had the chances but wasn't a very good student.so he stayed home and worked the program that dr Wilk gave him.

in my opinion you need to be self motivated through the rehab process.and have a good support group helping to keep things on a positive note.it can feel like there is no end to the process at times. and for my son, the questions.can i make it back? make it back where?
they need to keep busy,i think school and other baseball activitys can accomplish that part. you can work,play golf, hit a baseball. things to occupy the mind.

once he was allowed to throw he was following the program but very hesitant to air it out,as most are. he got to a point at about 10 months he was throwing about at 95%, but no curves or sliders. and the control or the feel for the ball was not there yet.he played in a mens league for a few games in july,first time to a live hitter.pitched about 6 innings or so,over about 5 games. a few curves ,arm felt good still no real feel for the ball.all in all felt very good,but still not 100% confidence in his pitching.the elbow was fine the shoulder was fine. physically great ,just not same feel.

in one of these games a scout was watching, very unusual in a mens league game. talked to him after the game and expressed interest in him. i think that was the boost in the confidence he needed. long story short after 1 yr 2 weeks he signed with the team that drafted him last year. as you all know 99% of tjs successful.and people comeback every day,but this is our first comeback. and most make it back to be the same or better than they were.they need to remember the goal whatever it may be.to keep their eye's on the prize.

but it isn't all just physical rehab or change. it can be emotional as well,they start to doubt themselves. as a friend used to say,let yourself be good.
Last edited by 20dad