Skip to main content

Reply to "Last Week Tonight w/ John Oliver: The NCAA (HBO)"

ryno - Did you watch the video?  It is long, but it talks about UNC and is one of the most egregious examples of how 'student athletes' were used (and abused) by an institution.  And I'm a UNC fan and season ticket holder!!

Frankly, I thought the snippets from the NCAA chief provided some of the most compelling reasons why college athletes should be paid in one way or another.  At least for football and basketball.

The system is broken...badly...IMO.  Lets just talk baseball.  The idea that you lose your eligibility for having formal representation in dealing with a professional organization who negotiates similar transactions year-after-year...is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard of.  No one in their right mind would go into any other business negotiation that involves tons of 'fine print' and worth millions of $$ without a legal/financial expert listening (not allowed) and representing your interests (not allowed) to make sure your (or your 17/18 year old son's) interests are protected.

IF...(big IF)...the NCAA was all about the "student athlete" they would drop that nonsense and they'd likely find out that more kids, with the correct legal/financial advice, would make the decision to go to college after all.

It took a hungry superstar (Shabaz Napier) on a national championship team (UConn) embarrassing the he!! out of the NCAA to make a single and very simple change to make sure the athletes were properly fed.  Simply stunning that it took that long to react to something many...and I mean many...already knew.

Last edited by justbaseball