Skip to main content

Reply to "Too late for elite academic recruiting for 2016 grad?"

6thatturnedouttobe9 posted:

Your son sounds like a lot of  kids that straddle the D1/D3 threshold.  I am not sure what position he plays primarily or what kind of hitter he is against elite pitching or if he even knows, but it sounds like his 85 off the mound is the real spark for the inquiry. While the exit velo. sounds pretty good, based on my observations, there is a LOT more that goes into being projected as a successful hitter at the D1 level than exit velo; I know a multitude of kids who can hit elite high-level pitching 420 feet but cannot help a D1 program defensively or on the bases who are scrambling to find places to play.  Hitters have to help a D1 team defensively at that level or they get replaced very quickly.  I know for a fact that there are 2016 players out there right now with the size: 6-0 - 200 lb. plus; speed: sub 6.8's; arm strength: 85+ velocity from OF, IF and mound and exit velos in the 90s to play D1, with only JUCO options, having nothing to do with grades or test scores; so there is a lot more to it as a position player than the numbers, which is why the D1 guys generally have to see a position player a who straddles the line a lot before they are convinced........."

Good context...  Sent you a PM