Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 10 events for scouting by college coaches"

Great information so far and the names of events I've been hearing about before as well.  I can't get into much specifics in our situation b/c we are still early to the process and I know in time his play will garner the needed attention, so I'm hopeful he will get an opportunity to play in college at some level.  My son is a 2020 catcher and just started attending national tournaments with a regional team this year.  At both tournaments he has gotten highlighted, but you are correct in that college coaches don't know about him before he arrives at these tournaments.  He hasn't done a showcase, but has a regional one coming up soon.  He's still trying to figure out his list of target schools too, but every local coach and scout from the tourneys/local that has seen him so far has said "D1 material", just no D1 coaches have seen him play yet.   I know we need the pop time and velocity measurements for catching (I do have one batting exit velo of 85 for the homerun he hit at one of the tourneys), and I've taken in game video and we've sent that to local school in the tournament area before we go to tournaments.  He's been on a local summer team that doesn't get much exposure, but has worked with a catcher scout in the area, so he really doesn't have anyone to act as a liaison for college coaches either.  He keeps getting asked to play in tournaments nationally, which gets expensive b/c we have to fly there too.  The question was meant to "weed through the BS" as others have mentioned already.