Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 10 events for scouting by college coaches"

SANDIEGOREALIST,

I understand you are just being critical about the All American Classic and not so much Perfect Game. And there is nothing wrong with that opinion. It’s just there is more to it than that. I hope I can write this politely because I’m not interested in fighting about it.

Of course, we want to promote our brand, but don't think everything we do only revolves around promoting our brand. We have an event planned with MLB that will be televised this fall. The problem is, you really don’t know us very well. You don’t know why we do everything. So until you get to know those people who you think you have figured out… Yes, you might as well have fallen off that turnip truck you mentioned.

You have completely missed one fact. This game is not about exposure to scouts and college recruiters. While they might be most interested in watching, they do know these players already. I never said these players need exposure. You are correct in saying they don’t need the exposure. There's just so much more to it than that.

You have stated that you know what OUR MOTIVATION IS? You are telling people what PG IS HOPING to gain. You are assuming we are just like any other business. You must not know… I hate business and have never claimed to be good at it. I have been a member here from the beginning. Go back and look at posts from years ago. Not everyone is motivated by money or business. People that know our business know our weakest area is marketing. I have told many, if you lack talent don’t waste your time and money on Perfect Game, because we can’t help you. Why would I come on here and argue about some of the things you are claiming. There isn’t anything you have said that would insult a true businessman. Nothing you have said is harmful and you have said some nice things as well. You simply do not know me and what motivates me. Some of our greatest accomplishments, that I am most proud of, involve kids that weren’t among the best players we see.

Once again, you are assuming we are a normal business. You need to talk to people that actually know me. Not those that claim to know me, because they met me somewhere, but those that really do know me and how I think and what trips my trigger. Then you might be more likely to question my intelligence rather than this other stuff.

We have lots of ideas… Our people come in and present ideas to bring in revenue. Every idea has to pass a test and answer one question. That question is… Is it good for the game? If in our estimation that question isn’t yes… We don’t do it. The PGAAC is one of many things we do that, we are totally convinced, is good for the game. It is even good way beyond the game! Every time a hometown, a high school, a travel team, a coach, pediatric cancer awareness, or anything else is mentioned on national television… It is a good thing!

I’m not special, I’m and old scout and college coach. I am a baseball lifer and a baseball nut. I was shocked when USA Today named me #57 in their list of top 100 most powerful people in MLB. #56 and #58 were Joe Maddon and Brian Cashman. I was the only person on the list that does what we do. I personally know hundreds of people much more powerful than me. An honor yes, but not so much a deserving one. I think it was more about Perfect Game’s position, accomplishments, and reputation than it was about me personally being influential.

Really, other than what I have mentioned above, I have no problem with your opinions, but this comment following your post does truly bother me. Looks like you have a new worshipper based on this statement!

Hallelujah !!  Can I get an Amen ?!