Skip to main content

Reply to "TOP 10 New England Baseball Pro Prospects"

Charlie,

I should be able to stop by and see your brother throw on Monday. My son is getting fitted for a knee brace at 4, but I should be able to get over to the dover field and see some of the game.

I can give some prespective as to where he stands in relationship to the other top pitchers I have seen over the past few years. As a Maine Alumni ['82], I'd love to see how he stacks up. I saw a lot of top D1 players in my 4 years at Maine including 2 guys who had success in the majors. Billy Swift pitched for the '84 Olympic team and a number of years with Seattle & San Fran. He won 20 one year with the Giants. Joe Johnson turned pro early and had a short-lived career with Toronto & a couple of other clubs. Both were something else in their years at Maine. I saw former UMO pitcher Troy Martin throw on that same field in Dover for the Dover Legion team. I have also seen Ryan Lapointe, Chris Anderson, and others pitch. My son has played with and against Jeff Locke (a true 95-96 FB), Kyle Davis, Ben Hart, Ross Davis and many others in Mass. Our life has turned away from baseball now, but I try to keep up with the kids I have seen over the years.

As far as your brother winning POY or the Gatorade award, you have not stated any offensive numbers that I recall. All of the players I just mentioned were also standout offensive players as well as elite pitchers. To really contend for the honor, your brother is most likely going to have to extremely dominant in every outing on the mound if he is not putting up big numbers at the plate.

Look forward to seeing him throw on Monday!