Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 2011's in the state"

quote:
Anotrher way to phrase that would be "hard to get on the PG list until someone shells out $500-$600 to attend one of their events"

Maybe insted of "plays on the big stage" you meant to write "pays to be on the big stage"

You are indeed "stilllearning", because this is completely false.

I've seen literally dozens of players I knew personally who did nothing more than attend USA Baseball's Junior Olympics as 16's and a few WWBA tourneys, and they got very highly ranked. Given that I know only a fraction of those out there, I have to assume this is not a unique experience. There does have to be some source of disinterested, evaluative information, but you don't have to pay to get it.

As for paying for showcases, that can work both ways. Lots of those who pay don't get the ratings/rankings they want. Some times the truth hurts and the rose-colored glasses have to come off.

I do think a high caliber kid should pay to attend at least one PG event. Not doing that is penny wise and pound foolish, IMHO. On the other hand, I also see lots of starry eyed parents shelling out major bucks for showcase after showcase on kids who objectively are not the highest caliber of player, and that is indeed money wasted on self-delusion.

There are ways to get to WWBA tourneys and other highly visible events without paying big bucks. I realize some teams charge an arm and a leg, but other teams do dedicate themselves to offering affordable vehicles. Those who charge a lot of money tend to tell you it's absolutely necessary, but consider the source, and keep shopping around if money is tight.