Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 3 takeaways from parents who have been there"

1. CAST A WIDE NET

Forget D1, D2, D3. There are outstanding baseball programs and learning facilities at the D3 level and there are crappy baseball programs and diploma mills at the D1 level. This whole thing is about 'finding the right fit' socially, economically , academically and Baseball. Most kids / parents overreach and chase the same 4-5 schools ( All D1 of course ) That is a potentially fatal mistake.

*Only 7% of HS players will play NCAA baseball.....Only 2% at the Division 1 level .......http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-college-athletics

Cast a WIDE net . Look a multiple schools out of state . Remember the primary goal is a guaranteed roster spot and a solid undergrad degree. And in order to make that goal a reality you need OFFERS. It doesn't matter if it's a D3 guaranteed  roster spot or baseball money from a D1 . You need offers to make the process move forward. NCAA RC's don't usually move until someone else moves first. Don't forget that. A guaranteed roster spot offer at a D3 becomes an email or text to the D1 that your son has been speaking with  saying something to the effect of: 

" Coach, I received this offer from Cal Lutheran , it's generous offer. The school is a good fit and I'm considering accepting but I want to check with you first to see where you guys are at with me"

Also, don't forget , unless you are a blue chip recruit that is eligible for the 2019 MLB draft . You really don't pick the school. THEY pick you . So, cast a wide net.

2. LEARN HOW TO VET INTEREST 

The biggest problem in recruiting is that most parents / Kids  do not know how to VET interest . Learn the difference between 'Follow' and 'Prospect' . Non-personalized email, Camp invites. Those are mass mailers sent to a gizzilion kids. Those kids are at best 'Follows' . Recruiting coordinators CALL and TEXT 'prospects' . They do not call 'Follows'.

The best way to tell if you're a prospect is the phone / text. No phone call / texts ? They are not interested . Move on.

Don't forget , you need  'Offers'. if your son is on the phone or texting a RC he needs to find out where they are at with their 2019 class. Have your son ask the question. Where is he on the 'Board' ??  All programs categorize their prospects on an ink board . Is he 1,2,3,4 on the depth chart for SS's ?  Your son needs to ask. Most kids are afraid to ask but the culture in NCAA baseball is the RC's will tell you the truth.

Don't forget when a RC or HC wants a kid they act fast. There is no ambiguity . If there is not an offer, and you are talking w/ RC  it is because they have interest in another player at your position and YOU are the back up if that kid goes somewhere else. The other kid I'm referring to, ALREADY has the offer . He just hasn't agreed to it.  Remember most programs recruit anywhere from 50-200 kids a year and only commit  8-14 kids a year. They can shoot and miss. You can't ! you get one shot at this.......and you gotta get it right!

3. GO WHERE THEY LOVE YOU

When it is decision time,  pick the school where everybody in the baseball dept is  absolutely stoked to have you on the team. This is extremely important.

And lastly , when it's time for your son to make his decision . When there is a deadline. As a parent , STAY OUT OF IT   ( I didn't talk to my son the last 24-36 hours before he committed )

It's your sons life and his decision. Let him make it .

Last edited by StrainedOblique