Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 3 takeaways from parents who have been there"

Fabulous responses in this thread.

1) I'd rather my son play on a winning D3 team than a loser D1 team.

2) Sometimes, you have to make a decision based on your own instincts which may go against the so-called "expert's" evaluation.  I had people tell me that my son would be lucky to get on the field at the D3 level let alone ever play above that level.  We went and watched the different levels of baseball and we could see with our own eyes that my son had skills to compete at higher levels.  The main thing about the upper levels of baseball is some programs will not accept you if your measurables such as 60 time and arm strength are not above some minimum threshold.  You may be a great hitting shortstop, for example, but if your measurables are below the given threshold, you will be disqualified for some programs.  Find out what these measurables are for your son's position and encourage him to exceed them at all possible.

3) Baseball recruiting is not like football recruiting.  In baseball, you have to put yourself in front of a decision-maker in order to get an offer from them.  Coaches do not fly up from southern locations to watch northern high school baseball in the spring.  If you want to play in the south, for example, you have to find a way to expose yourself to southern coaches.  In general, and obviously there are many exceptions, the best players play in the south.