Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 3 takeaways from parents who have been there"

rynoattack posted:
3and2Fastball posted:
TPM posted:
ClevelandDad posted:

Coaches do not fly up from southern locations to watch northern high school baseball in the spring.  

Recently FAU coaches went to Indianapolis to watch an event. The HC went to the Northwoods league to watch a juco player from the midwest this summer. 

One SEC team has an on staff paid scout who goes everywhere to watch players.

There is a lot of searching going on everywhere these days.

As he said, coaches do not fly up to northern high schools to watch games in the SPRING.   Except maybe the scout from the one SEC school?

I've certainly never seen a southern school coach at any high school game in Wisconsin, nor have I ever heard of one attending a WI HS game, and I've been attending games for decades.

The Wisconsin kids get seen in the summer, fall and winter at showcases, tournaments and camps.

We live in Idaho, and Ryan had MANY D-1 Power 5 Coaches fly in to see him play in the Spring.  You just can't paint everything with the same brush.  

Idaho is a little more off the beaten path than Wisconsin.  If the coach finds out about a kid, and they want to take a look at him, he will travel.

Your response has the big IF... "If the coach finds out about a kid"  They don't travel to northern locals to scout unless they have already identified a prospect and everybody knows that.  I assume your advice to Midwest Mom is not to expect the power five schools to start showing up at her son's high school games for him to be discovered? 

In big time high school football, it is not unusual for coaches to scout for players when there is a big game between well-known high school football powers.  The same schools often meet for baseball in the spring and there is nobody there scouting  for talent UNLESS as you point out, a prospect has already been identified.  For baseball, until you get exposure to the types of schools you are interested in, they will not come looking for you.